Hidden Figures

16:00


Artwork by reggierock


Hello vintage beauties and happy international women's day! I recently discovered my favourite film of the year so far and maybe one of my top films ever! And I thought it would be fitting to talk about the film. Hidden Figures is the true story of 3 inspiring and amazing women who worked at NASA in the 1960s.  

Katherine G. Johnson, Dorothy Vaughan and Mary Jackson were 3  brilliant African-American women working at NASA, who served as the brains behind one of the greatest operations in history: the launch of astronaut John Glenn into orbit. I had never herd about these women or their amazing stories, as many people hadn't before the book about their lives came out and more recently the film adaptation. If anyone knows me they would know that this film would excite me greatly. I am super interested in anything to do with NASA especially the history of it. Obviously I also luuvvvv the fashions of the 60s so I always enjoy a film where the true fashion is showcased. And thirdly I am a massive fan of anything which empowers and inspires women of all backgrounds which this film does amazingly. 



The film is so real at telling the true stories of the challenges many women working at NASA had to overcome. It also really interestingly and powerfully displays the struggles of African-Amercian people in the 60s especially when trying to have high ranking job. It also manages to be funny and hard hitting all at the same time. 

It's become my new fave film and I have found it so interesting to research the backgrounds of these women and I am so thankful to the film for bringing their stories and the amazing work they did to my attention. I am also going to get a copy of the book so I can read about their lives too. Women like these are just a great example of how you can overcome gender stereotyped jobs and how you can excel despite all odds and I really enjoyed watching that on the big screen.

Have you seen Hidden Figures, what were your thoughts on it? Also leave in the comments women that inspire and empower you!

"There are twenty, bright, highly capable negro women in the west computing group, and we're proud to be doing our part for the country. So yes, they let women do some things at NASA, Mr. Johnson. And it's not because we wear skirts. It's because we wear glasses. Have a good day." - Katherine Johnson (Hidden Figures Movie)

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Instagram

Subscribe