Battenberg Cake

12:00



One of my absolute favourite cakes is Battenberg Cake. I have just always been so obsessed with it and I don't think I could get sick of it! And I've also always really wanted to try making my own Battenberg as it's one of my faves but also its really different from what I normally bake and I thought it would be a bit of a challenge. Also its a very traditional vintage, British bake which made me want to try it out more. I thought I'd share the recipe I used and the results of my cake. 

So if you want to try making one yourself you will need:

- 175g Unsalted Butter, softened
- 175g Caster Sugar
- 175g Self-Raising Flour
- 3 Large Eggs
- 65g Ground Almonds
- 3/4 tsp Baking Powder
- ½ tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 tsp Almond Extract
- Red Food Gel
- Apricot Jam
- 225g Marzipan ( I used natural rather than yellow )
- Some icing sugar

Then you will need to:

  • Preheat oven to 180c
  • Grease your square shape tin with butter and flour ( I used a specialized battenberg tin as I found this really easy! )
  • Whisk together all the dry ingredients and then add in all the wet ingredients into that and combine until the mix is smooth.
  • Spoon half the mixture into another small bowl and add the red food gel. - I used about 3 or 4 teaspoons of it and this gave a really good pink colour.
  • Then spoon both the pink & cream colour mix into the different sides of the tin and bake in the oven for 25-30 mins until its risen and springy to touch.
  • Leave the cake to cool for a couple of min and then turn out of the tin onto a cooling rack.
  • Once completely cool trim any excess bits of the strips of cake off to make 4 smooth rectangle shapes of cake.
  • Brush some of the apricot jam ( its best to warm this through a bit first so its really sticky and easy to use ) over the sides of the rectangles to you can stick them together to create the checker pattern with the pink and cream colours.
  • Next lay out some icing sugar and roll out the marzipan till its quite thin and it will cover your cake.
  • Brush some more jam onto the top of the cake and place it jam side down onto the marzipan. ( I found it easiest to place the cake at the side of the marzipan and roll the cake over until the marzipan covered it.)
  • Trim off any extra bits of marzipan hanging over the edges of the cake to neaten it up. 
 
 
 
 
 
This may sounds quite complicated but when you are doing it I think its much easier. I found it to be way more simple than I thought it would be. And I was really happy with my results. The cake looked really pretty and it tasted good too. I would definitely try making it again or some different variations on the recipe like a chocolate and orange one or something. It was really fun to try out though and I loved making a really traditional British cake that's been around since the 1800's.

Its also a great thing to try if you are having a vintage teaparty or for a wedding. ( I would for sure have a massive battenberg cake for my wedding! ) 

I hope you liked this little baking post, I want to try doing a lot more baking and doing posts on my makes so look out for those when they pop up. Let me know in the comments if you have tried making battenberg or what your fave recipe is! 

Daisy x

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Instagram

Subscribe