How to make | Retro design rings

11:42

Recently I started making some retro look rings to take to the vintage fair to sell. I've really enjoyed making them and they are so easy to make I thought I would make a post about how I make them! 

What you will need: 

- Retro books/magazines/adverts/fabric
- Ring backs
- Scrabble tiles
- Superglue
- Scissors

1. First you will need to gather what you want to be the design of your ring. I mainly use pages from retro children's books, as the illustrations are always really cute.Vintage Ladybird or Enid Blyton books are good ones to use as the pictures are really retro looking. You can easily pick up these sort of retro children's books from any charity shops really or jumble sales or car boot sales, quite cheaply as a lot of the old books aren't very collectible. I also use some vintage maps to cover the rings. Or you could use retro fabric, magazines or adverts. 

2. I then pick the part of an illustration I like or just the text from the book and use the square scrabble tile to draw around the section I want.

3. I will then cut out the small square section I want, normally leaving a small edge around the square so that the piece of paper will go over the edges of the scrabble tile. 

4. Now I pick the scrabble tile I will use to cover with the paper. I usually go for the tiles that have a square back rather than a circle back as this gives more space when you stick on the ring back. I then put a small amount of super glue on the front (where the letter is)of the scrabble tile and place on the square of paper and trim off any excess paper hanging over the tile with scissors. I normally leave this part to dry for about 10 minutes.

5. Then I pick up one of the ring backs (you can get these really cheap online, I normally buy a pack of 50 for about £2 off ebay) and place a small amount of superglue onto the back of the scrabble tile and stick the ring back on.I will then leave this to dry for a couple of hours so it's very secure. And you are done!

These are great for giving as gifts, selling at craft/vintage fairs or just as a fun project to make them.

Have you tried out any craft projects recently? I am always looking for new things to try out!   







You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Instagram

Subscribe